POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : assumed_gamma : Re: assumed_gamma Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 2 Jun 2003 15:07:59
Message: <3edba08f@news.povray.org>
I guess a factor which really plays into
display_gamma is the actual brightness
you set your Monitor to. It's glowing effect
alters how black (which stays black no matter
what) and white (which may be more or less
bright) interact to get to a gray level.
Also, the better a monitor, the less will
neighbouring pixels pour their colors into
the surrounding area (I'm talking about the
physical effect of the electrons on the phosphor
layer, though I'm not too sure if its still phosphor...).

Since technology keeps evolving, I guess
newer Monitors may be more apt at staying
at a desired gamma of 1.

But perhaps I'm having a distorted perspective
on gamma and monitors, and what I'm saying
is complete crap... :-)

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde