POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : possible difference bug : Re: possible difference bug Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: possible difference bug
From: Manuel Kasten
Date: 2 Jun 2003 14:35:51
Message: <3edb9907@news.povray.org>
Hi!

> In the example scene I posted earlier, the larger cube would
> represent the house, and the difference would create the hole where
> the front door of the house would go.What should be left, is a big
> hollow cube, with a rectangular hole punched into the site of it.
> According to http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/307/ the big
> cube should be hollow, and yet, after the difference it appears not
> to be.

Look carefully at the hole section -> 6.5.6 "Constructive Solid Geometry"
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/171/ especially at -->  6.5.6.4
"Difference".

The sample images are describing very well what's going on. If you use
difference, the surface of the differenced object will be visible inside the
object differenced from, so it will "look" solid.

If you want to cut holes into objects, so that you can see the inner
surface, use clipped_by described in ->  6.5.9.1 "Clipped_By"
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/174/

I hope I understood correctly, what you wanted to do, let me know, if I was
able to help you.

--
MfG    Manuel Kasten