POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : assumed_gamma : Re: assumed_gamma Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 2 Jun 2003 14:34:23
Message: <3edb98af$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter skrev i meddelandet <3ed7c0ff$1@news.povray.org>...
>Slashdolt wrote:
>> "For PC systems, the most common display gamma is 2.2, while for scenes
>> created on Macintosh systems should use a scene gamma of 1.8. Another
gamma
>> value that sometimes occurs in scenes is 1.0."

[snip]

>Set assumed_gamma to 1.0 in your code.  Then set the display_gamma in
>your master ini to a corresponding value, usually between 1.8 and 2.2 in
>order to get the look you want.  Then in theory, everyone else sees the
>same thing you do.  I use Display_Gamma=1.8 in my ini file

Do newer CRT monitors still have gamma values in that range (1.8-2.2)?
I was a little surprised when I got a new monitor and measured the gamma
to approximately 1.3, but this seems to be the correct value for it.
I have immediate access to three monitors, and only one of them has a gamma
around 2 (a Viewsonic 15"). The others are both ADI Microscan models
and have gammas in the range 1.2-1.3. The ADI's are both several years
newer then the Viewsonic.