POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Architecture...Old Meets New : Architecture...Old Meets New Server Time
30 Apr 2024 14:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Architecture...Old Meets New
From: Shay
Date: 2 Jun 2003 11:42:46
Message: <3edb7076@news.povray.org>
It's shameful that the trivially easy task of modeling a simple piece of
architecture can earn a place in this competition. Even if every judge
were not aware that this picture is a copy of a relatively well known
photograph, I still fail to see how any artistic merit can attributed to
the modeling of an existing piece of architecture. And concept?
Originality?

When I made the comments about the lighting in 'incubus|final,' I was
not being critical. I was admittedly guessing at  some reason the judges
may have given an original (if arguably unimaginative) design a concept
score almost a full point lower than this completely unoriginal,
"unconceptual" copy.

I don't want to be misunderstood. I recognize that there is plenty of
room for originality in the way an existing piece of architecture is
portrayed. In fact, I saw a painting last week in the Montreal Museum of
Contemporary Arts which really amazed me just for its deceptively
complex approximation of some existing architecture. That originality is
obviously absent here, however.

 -Shay