POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 1 Jun 2003 19:13:50
Message: <3eda88ae@news.povray.org>

3eda7985@news.povray.org...
> Fair enough. I submit the following picture:
> http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/tour/ss_scanline.jpg

http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/dark.htm
370 millions of triangles, rendered on my laptop at 6000*8000 in a couple of
days, using radiosity.

Other complex pictures I've done recently are in that range (see also
http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/chevys.htm and
http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/family_night.htm ).

OK, to be fair, these images make a generous use of instanciation, as 370
millions of non instanciated triangles would certainly bog down my computer
so that doesn't invalidate what you said (I think the people of VRay claims
billions of non instanciated ones).  Still, in POV-Ray, a smart combination
of primitives and meshes can be extremely efficient. In fact, some of these
pics will be shown at the next SIGGRAPH by the people (XFrog) who have
created the plants used here.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com