POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fog & media together? : Re: Fog & media together? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fog & media together?
From: gonzo
Date: 25 May 2003 17:03:27
Message: <3ed12f9f@news.povray.org>
Xilo Musimene <xil### [at] hotpopcom> wrote in message
news:3ED### [at] hotpopcom...
> In my comprehension of the fog, it will adjust the final color of a
> pixel to the fog color based on the distance of collision between
> objects.

Yes, I've been reading the docs on fog. Not what I thought it was :-(  I was
thinking it was like a generic kind of media...

I think the fog cannot collision with your media inside the
> spheres, but only with the spheres themselves, thus making something
> possibly strange about the spheres.

It appears to have no bearing on the media, any transparent object, media or
not, gives the same result. Fog apparently just doesn't understand
transparency... Bummer too, since the look of the fog was perfect.

> I think, but I'm not sure at all that the only way to solve your problem
> would be to have a real atmosphere in your scene, a scene media of some
> sort, I think it's possible, I think it will solve your problem, but I'm
> not sure how well this will work.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've been playing with variations on this idea,
but a few problems...
 1) a media atmosphere still shows the spheres, and
 2) render speed is SERIOUSLY affected ( 264 pps down to 1 pps)
 3) still haven't got media to look as good as fog...

So far, the likeliest solution looks like putting more media in a container
in between the foreground & background with a y gradient density to simulate
fog.  This is still slow, but not as slow as trying to do the whole
atmosphere.  Biggest problem with this is getting a media that looks like
the fog. My best attempts so far haven't even been close :-(

Any media experts out there have a good recipe for media fog or haze?

RG - hmmm, maybe there should be an ignore_fog switch for objects...