POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtualight : Re: Virtualight Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtualight
From: Andreas Kreisig
Date: 24 May 2003 12:48:01
Message: <3ecfa240@news.povray.org>
Hugo Asm wrote:

> Andreas Kreisig wrote:
>> you don't have to spend lots of bucks for a commercial 3D
>> application to get good results. But you have to learn to use two
>> rather complicated applications, this may be a small disadvantage.
>
> I couldn't stand for this comment.  :o)  Isn't all the commercial
> applications complicated as well?

Yes of course. What I wanted to point out is that you have to learn *two*
programs instead of only one when you buy a commercial, expensive and
allmost full-featured 3d software. I think it's never (and it probably will
never be) easy to create something in three dimensions.

> I throw them away the minute I see their interface.

To build an interface for such a complex software is allways a compromise
between usability and design. Some GUIs are better, some are worse.

> But I'm biased towards scripting anyway, because I started programming a
> long time ago.

This is of course a good supposition to work with SDL.

> I find POV-Ray to be excellent also
> for newbies because you don't actually SEE the possibilities of the
> program,

And you don't actually SEE what you're doing. This kind of abstraction may
cause problems, at least for me :)

I'm a Linux user for a long time now and a view years ago I had an endless
discussion with a Linux freak who only use the console for nearly all of
his work while I rather use a Desktop for my daily work. He even said that
it's more easy for a secretary to learn Tex (a script based 'word
processor') than to learn MS Word or something similar. I mentioned that in
the case that you're using a GRAPHICAL user interface, you have an
additional 'channel' to learn: visibility. This is a fact, proofed by
scientists who are dealing with learning theory.

> Commercial applications seems more automated, in some cases, and that can
> be a great thing. But I can automate a great deal of things in POV-Ray
> too.

There are some more reason why I prefer to use a modeler (not necessarily a
commercial one), but I don't want to start this topic again ...:) Everybody
should feel free to use what he/she wants.

Regards,
Andreas

--
http://www.render-zone.com