POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtualight : Re: Virtualight Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtualight
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 23 May 2003 12:19:54
Message: <3ece4a2a@news.povray.org>
Welcome Daniel.

I have not tried Virtual Light, but POV-Ray is an extensive language with 11
years background. Many people have contributed to POV-Ray over the years. It
has a large fan-base.

> there are times that I found Virtualight do provide features
> that are more readily available, such as the use of sunlight
> as a light source. How do I achieve the same effect in POVRay?

Some features may be readily available in Virtual Light, but when you get to
know POV-Ray, there are a lot of "plugins" that I think it will turn around
the picture for you. They are usually called "include files" or "macros".
Regarding your sunlight question, I'll need a bit more information before
I'm sure what you're after. But if you want to use "real" objects or skies
as light sources, try radiosity (for diffuse reflections) and the
"reflection" keyword on objects where you want specular reflection from the
sun.

Regards,
Hugo