POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Liquid-Surface-Simulation-Macros released! : Re: LSSM Update! Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LSSM Update!
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 23 May 2003 05:41:19
Message: <3ecdecbf$1@news.povray.org>
Tim,

Thanks for all this. I have not changed my mind regarding my earlier
statement: Terrific work!

I'm wondering (for some time now; even posted my idea some months ago) how
to add wind to the algoritm. Maybe you have a plan for this? I could just
average the wind and the LSSM of course, but it needs deeper integration to
interact with the enviroment. Maybe I can figure something out, when I read
your comments in the updated LSSM... Or maybe 'the master' is more qualified
to tell me, what I can do.

Wind aside. I see it's possible to make nice trails behind moving objects.
Do you have ideas how to push the water in front of a moving object? You
know, in real life there is a wave in many such cases.

I'm thinking about using the LSSM in a large area of water, for example a
river or ocean. It seems unnecessary to parse the entire area with the LSSM,
but it's pretty easy to fade out "your data", and fade in the data of the
..lets say "the river". The only problem is the wind. Even if LSSM would
support a kind of wind, if the algoritm is not the same as the river, it may
not look the same.. (This is just something to consider before working on
LSSM - wind)

I hope you don't mind my ideas. Of course you are free to take a vacation
from these macros, in that case, just ignore what I said. I think your
macros are well done and already support enough things to be useful. I
browsed around on google to find alternative water systems (non-pov or
whatever) and I found mostly junk. Your system looks good in comparison. I
hope people will begin to use it.

Regards,
Hugo