POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Skin shader, BRDF, BSSRDF : Re: Skin shader, BRDF, BSSRDF Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skin shader, BRDF, BSSRDF
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 22 May 2003 12:59:40
Message: <3ecd01fc@news.povray.org>
Manuel wrote:
> Now the question.
> Can Povray use a algorithm like this:
>
> http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/papers/bssrdf/
>
> or, more generally, exist a skin shader for Povray??

As ABX said, one skin shader (Matt Pharr's) is in POVMan examples
package. You probably need to tinker with it in order to get more
realistic results than I got with my example.
Another skin shader, which probably could be used with POVMan, is
Stephen H. Westin's at:
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/lafortune/lafortune.html
It uses little bit newer technique (in terms of Siggraph publication
year :-), but I haven't tried it.
I haven't found yet SL implementation for Jensen's algorithm and don't
feel that I have enough expertise to implement it myself.
It should be noted, that POVMan does not support surface derivatives, so
if you want to use available shaders (as Westin's), then you have to
provide 'reasonable' derivative values yourself.