POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : curve with thickness : Re: curve with thickness Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: curve with thickness
From: Herman Serras
Date: 18 May 2003 11:34:45
Message: <3ec7a814@news.povray.org>
Kasper Peeters wrote:

> I want to 'plot' a curve (for which I know the parametric expression,
> i.e. the three coordinates as a function of a single parameter) and
> give it some thickness (like a thick rope). So I'm looking for
> something like sphere_sweep, but with the curved described by my
> parametric expression, not by a spline.
>
> What is the best/most efficient way to do this?
>
> Kasper
I think you can apply the method used to plot knots. Starting from the
curve you construct a surface in the following way. In each point of
the curve you calculate the normal to the curve. In the plane through
the point that is perpendicular to the normal you consider the circle
with a (small) constant radius and with the given point on the curve as
center. As you have parametric equations of the curve you can derive
the parametric equations of the surface and plot the surface.