POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : bad triangles???? : bad triangles???? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  bad triangles????
From: Alan Walkington
Date: 29 Apr 2003 00:56:38
Message: <3eae0606$1@news.povray.org>
Folks:
If this turns out to be a multi-post, or multiple posts, I apologize.  OE
crashed the first time through.

I am converting some dxf files to a povray triangle format.  In doing so, I
have found some triangles which won't parse:

This one works.
triangle{
    <-0.9 0.0 0.1>,
    <0.0 0.1 -0.8>,
    <0.1 -0.8 0.3>
}

This one doesn't.
triangle{
    <-0.9 0.0 0.1>,
    <0.0 0.1 -0.8>,
    <0.1 -0.8 -0.3>
}

The only difference is the sign of z in the last vertex. The actual value
doesn't seem to matter.  It parses if the sign is positive, and chokes if
the sign is negative  It tells me "expected a numeric value, found a >
instead".

Shouldn't any three discrete points be a valid triangle? Any clues to what
is wrong (and how to fix it)  would be appreciated.

TIA,
Alan Walkington