POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image map inside a cylinder? : Re: image map inside a cylinder? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image map inside a cylinder?
From: sascha
Date: 27 Apr 2003 09:23:46
Message: <3eabd9e2@news.povray.org>
A cylindrical height-field is not supported, but you could use a kind of
displacement-map on a cylinder. POV can do this using iso-surfaces. Just
take a cylinder function (e.g. x^2 + z^2 - 1 = 0) and add or subtract
the "image". Here's a short code, the camera is actually inside the
cylinder, the image is engraved on the inside. If you use text in the
image bake it a bit blurry.

#default {
	pigment { color rgb <1,1,1> }
	finish { ambient 0.2 diffuse 0.8 }
}

camera {
	location <0,0.5,-0.9>
	look_at 0
	angle 120
}

light_source {
	<-0.5,0.9,-0.9>
	color rgb <1,1,1>
}

#declare f_pigm = function {
	pigment {
		image_map {
			png "f:/test.png"
			interpolate 2
			map_type 2
		}
	}
}

isosurface {
	function { x*x+z*z-1 + 0.1*f_pigm(x,y,z).grey }
	max_gradient 20
	no_shadow
}

-sascha