POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Passing file handles to macros - how? : Re: Passing file handles to macros - how? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passing file handles to macros - how?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Apr 2003 03:08:39
Message: <3ea8def7$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ea87a96@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>>> What do you need the STL for? Reference counting is trivial to
>>> implement.
>
>> Yes, reinvent the wheel.
>
>   Exactly which part of the STL implements reference counting?

Those in ISO C++ 200X...

In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg> ,
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>  wrote:
> Reference counting is extremely simple...in my opinion, it doesn't come
> under "reinventing the wheel". And if there is no widespread standard
> implementation, rolling your own is better than not doing it at all.

There is one, and it will be part of the ISO C++ standard in the very near
future.

One aspect of C++ being an ISO standard is that there is periodic review
required by ISO, and standards are usually withdrawn (formally, they of
course don't disappear) after five years if there is no update.  And
comments suggest WG21 of ISOs JTC1/SC22 made some important progress in
regard to the standard library extensions during its Oxford meeting earlier
this month.  Details should be avilable within a week on their website.

You can check periodically the page
<http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/> and wait for the
"Post-Oxford mailing" link to appear.  It will make available documents that
say what has been accepted.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde