POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Nested bounding : Re: Nested bounding Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nested bounding
From: Slime
Date: 24 Apr 2003 19:02:40
Message: <3ea86d10@news.povray.org>
> Even that automatic bounding create perfect bounding box it should be
still
> possible to optimize complex object rendering by splitting complex object
> to several unions. How can I calculate how many unions to split complex
> object?

Don't bother. Internally, POV-Ray splits all of the unions, and then does
exactly what you're describing using its *own* algorithm, which produces a
much more efficient bounding box "tree" than you or I could by hand. Chances
are, by using "split_unions off", you'll only slow things down.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]