POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direction dependent glass? : Re: Direction dependent glass? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direction dependent glass?
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 24 Apr 2003 14:27:21
Message: <3ea82c89@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> In article <3ea807ba@news.povray.org>,
>  Simon Adameit <sim### [at] gaussschule-bsde> wrote:
>

>>It's not about being able to see both surfaces but about the rays not
>>ending up parallel.
>

> Parallel? Rays that start out parallel will stay parallel.

When you use ior the ray that enters the glass should be parallel to the
one leaving the glass (in case of a flat window) which is not the case
with a single surface. I think I'm so used to using ior and fresnel
reflection with glass that I didn't even think of not doing so and
simply using a single-surface as the refraction probably wont be visible
anyways.

>>lightning?
>
> No, lighting

I know that you ment lighting and also wanted to say that but I dont
know what you ment? (Does that make sense?)

> I now see how you were applying the object pattern, but not the slope
> pattern. What are you using it for?

For the same purpose. Make one side of the glass (the outside texture on
one side) non transparent, highly reflective, or whatever...