POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Amapi is free : Re: Amapi is free Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amapi is free
From: Andreas Kreisig
Date: 20 Apr 2003 11:51:04
Message: <3ea2c1e7@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3ea29431@news.povray.org> , Andreas Kreisig <and### [at] gmxde>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not familiar with rendering algorithms, but aren't there any
>> rendering systems available(e.g. Pixar's Renderman wich is a hybrid
>> renderer) wich are able to pipe the input so that the memory is not the
>> limited factor?
>
> Of course you can always parallelize either process, random memory access
> does not scale well at all.  Memory access is the limit even for
> ray-tracing, and for scanline rendering hardware the memory access is the
> reason why memory hardware is much faster than main system memory.

Well, I mean render engines wich don't have to parse the hole scene. It can
do it in parts and when one part is rendered it will leave the pipe (and so
it will free the memory). Don't know how they realize this but I read an
article about that and they rendered test scenes with an astronomic number
of verts or triangels.

Andreas

--
http://www.render-zone.com