POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The sun and stars : Re: The sun and stars Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The sun and stars
From: Jellby
Date: 20 Apr 2003 11:48:22
Message: <3ea2c145@news.povray.org>
Among other things, Warp wrote:

>   This is related to exposure time. The planet is brightly lit by the
> Sun, but the stars are rather dim. If you set the exposure time of your
> photographing device so that the details of the planetary surface are
> visible, the stars will be way too dim to be seen. If on the other hand
> you set the exposure time so long that the stars become visible, the
> planet will become overexposed, ie completely white (well, the lit
> part of the planet).

I'd say scattering plays a role too here on earth, we don't see the stars
when the sun is shining because the sky itself shines too (obscuring the
sun with the hand is not enough). In outer space this doesn't happen and it
should be possible to see the stars you cover the sun (and other bright
bodies), but I've never been there to try.

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x