POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Color choice for IRTC project : Re: Color choice for IRTC project Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color choice for IRTC project
From: Jellby
Date: 19 Apr 2003 18:16:33
Message: <3ea1cac1@news.povray.org>
Entre otras cosas, Xilo Musimene tuvo a bien escribir:

>    I got a problem with color choice...  Usually, i only pick from the
> three R, G and B, and there is no problem, but my project requires 4
> colors this time and I wonder what colors to choose.. ( I must not
> choose blank nor white)  On top of that, there is already a few colors
> taken, like Blue, Green, Brown (light and dark)...  Though I think I
> could repick Blue and Green...  so I'd need either two more colors or
> better 4 more colors...  I need my colors to be colorful (!) and
> attractive and most possibly contrasting.

When 4 colours are needed (in board games, for example) it's usual to pick
Red, Blue, Green and Yellow, you can add some kind of Purple. Other
"secondary" colours like cyan and orange begin to lose contrast.

>    If any of you can come with a choice to help me out, I'd greatly
> appreciate!  I'm very bad with colors, I have a cerebral disfunction
> which in french is called "daltonisme", I don't know what it is in
> english but it make the red pigmentation wrong in my perception.  So if
> I see a brown color and a red color (depending on lighting) they might
> look exactly the same...  or if I see two different shades of red (pink
> or whatever contains red) I will have much difficulty distinguishing
> which is the darkest...

In case you don't know, it was John Dalton, the father of the Atomic Theory,
who gave name to daltonism, he was colour blind and studied that condition.
I've always wondered how would colour blind persons see the colours, in
fact, I wonder how do other people see the colours: do other people
experience the same "feeling" when seeing blue as I do? They receive some
sensation when looking at the sky, and they call it "blue", I do the same
thing, but this doesn't mean that the sensation is the same...

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x