POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Amapi is free : Re: Amapi is free Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amapi is free
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 19 Apr 2003 06:15:12
Message: <3ea121b0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> In article <3ea07c18$1@news.povray.org> , Simon Adameit
> <sim### [at] gaussschule-bsde>  wrote:
>

>>Are you sure? Cinema4d seems to do raytracing
>

> Yes, it is the closest you can get to plain ray-tracing.  Still, it is
> hybrid method as it relies at least on various light and reflection tricks;
> at least that is what the images suggest when looking closely at light,
> shadow and reflection compared to knwon ray-traced images.

A friend of mine has it and you have the option of choosing between hard
shadows, shadow map and area light. Might be that the images you mean
were rendered with shadow maps though I dont know what could be the
reflection trick.

>I actually
> downloaded to manual (the whole 42 MB), but it does not say anything about
> technical issues at all :-(

Perhaps their c++ sdk doc can tell you more:
http://www.plugincafe.com/r8sdk/index.html