POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : (OT) Trigonometry primer ? : Trig references NOT OT!! Re: (OT) Trigonometry primer ? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Trig references NOT OT!! Re: (OT) Trigonometry primer ?
From: Will W
Date: 16 Apr 2003 21:29:45
Message: <3e9e0389@news.povray.org>
"Mahesh Padmanabhan" <new### [at] nospampranaemlcc> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> As I keep playing with povray, I realize that I have forgotten even the
> most basic trigonometry. I junked all my trig books way back in time.
> Are there any good trig books out there? Web sites describing basic trig
> would be ideal.

Hi, Mahesh--

I'm in the same situation: I got the POV bug about 3 months ago, and the
latest trig course I've taken was more than 30 years ago. So I'm a bit
rusty. While I still have my college books, they aren't well suited to the
kinds of things I've been running into in POV-Ray.

Here's a couple of sites I've found useful:

http://www.flipcode.com/geometry/ this has several tutorials on 3D geometry
written for people interested in animation. This has been very useful to me
(even though I'm into still images)

The archives of Drexel U's Math Forum at http://mathforum.org/dr.math/ has
been a very good source for specifics, when I know enough to phrase a search
query.

If I were to do it over again, I know I would have made faster progress if I
had concentrated on _vector mathematics_ from the outset. Pov provides good
support for vector manipulations. And either I slept through those lectures
or my college courses never went there.

--
Will Woodhull
Thornhenge, SW Oregon, USA