POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : I don't understand how media scales : Re: I don't understand how media scales Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I don't understand how media scales
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 7 Apr 2003 12:02:13
Message: <3e91a105$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> That is amazing. But why did you write, for example,
>
> scale 10 warp{turbulence 0.2} scale 1/10
> scale 20 warp{turbulence 0.3} scale 1/20
> ?

I scale the object before applying turbulence and then rescale it to its
original size. This has the effect of scaling the turbulence and could
also be archieved with octaves but this way I am also able to scale non
linearly and to apply other transformations like rotating before
scaling. The black_hole warp is used stretch the turbulence spherical.

> Isn't this really
>
> warp{turbulence 0.2} scale 1/10     scale 20   // or scale 2 ?
> warp{turbulence 0.3} scale 1/20    scale 50   // or scale 2.5?

This would have an effect on the size of the object, while
scale x ... do something ... scale 1/x   has not and it would not scale
the turbulence.