POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Convert Heightfield-like data to Nurbs? : Convert Heightfield-like data to Nurbs? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Convert Heightfield-like data to Nurbs?
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 4 Apr 2003 09:52:50
Message: <3e8d9c42$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to make another step forward with my
Mesh-Modifying-Macros. What I'm trying to find
is a method to convert the 2D-Grid of heights
(similiar to a heightfield's pixels) into a set of
POV-native bezier-patches. I'd like to use some
non-patented, efficient algorithm for this, but could
also come up with my own method. The difficult
thing is that I need a system which will convert
4 corners to one patch.

I've already come up with a method which will
get me the outer 12 control points for the patch,
which'll line up with the next patch, cause they'll
all be based upon the same data. But how about
the 4 center nodes? Unless I want to script several
#if statements to catch if I'm accessing indices too
high or too low for the data, this might become a
pretty slow algorithm. I'd rather like something faster.

Any ideas?

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde