POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Global variable changed by Macro without parameters? : Re: Global variable changed by Macro without parameters? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Global variable changed by Macro without parameters?
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 2 Apr 2003 07:36:55
Message: <3e8ad967$1@news.povray.org>
So, I've built a short example which works the same
way as I'm using it:

#macro Init(_Name)
 #local Var=1;
 #fopen _O "test.tmp" write
  #write (_O, "#declare ",_Name,"=Var;\n")
 #fclose _O
 #include "test.tmp"
#end

#macro Increment(_Name)
 #fopen _O "test.tmp" write
  #write (_O, "#declare Var=",_Name,";\n")
 #fclose _O
 #include "test.tmp"

 //This line causes some headaches
 #declare Var=Var+1;

 #fopen _O "test.tmp" write
  #write (_O, "#declare ",_Name,"=Var;\n")
 #fclose _O
 #include "test.tmp"
#end

Init("Test")
#ifdef(Test) #debug concat("Test exists outside of macro and is
",str(Test,0,0),"!\n") #end
Increment("Test")
#debug concat("Test finally is: ",str(Test,0,0),"\n")

There's one comment in the Increment-Macro, which causes
some irritation to me: It works when using #declare, but
it won't work when using #local, but that is what I'm doing
in my system, and in my system this doesn't issue a
fatal error. I don't get. Is POV trying to create a local
variable Var, even though I've got Var declared before
INSIDE the same macro. And why does it halt on the
Var of Var+1, and tell me "Cannot assign uninitialized identifier".
Var is initialized, or not?

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde