POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Object Handling for Water-Surface-System : Re: Object Handling for Water-Surface-System Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Handling for Water-Surface-System
From: Rune
Date: 28 Mar 2003 05:15:18
Message: <3e8420b6@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> To achieve this, I've come up with following method:
> You declare you're object along with a similiar named
> transformation-macro:
> #declare This_Object=...
> #macro This_Object_Transformation(X)
>  transform{ [Stuff based on X] }
> #end

Alternatively, if you want to give the user more freedom, you can simply
put the object itself inside the macro:

#macro This_Object(X)
   object { [Stuff based on X] }
#end

This makes things possible that transformations can't do, for example
altering the function of an isosurface based on X or changing the
positions of individual elements in a blob. Furthermore, the user can
conveniently base other things on X, like the texture of the object.
Even if this has no effect in the water-simulation context, it still is
more handy because the user might want to synchronize some things that
does matter (like shape and transformation) with some other things that
doesn't (like texture).

In my particle system I also needed to know things about objects and
values for any in-between frame clock values, and I have also used the
#macro approach.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Oct 19)