POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compile problems povray 3.50c and Solaris 8 x86 : Re: Compile problems povray 3.50c and Solaris 8 x86 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:09:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compile problems povray 3.50c and Solaris 8 x86
From: Pär Karlsson
Date: 28 Mar 2003 01:24:15
Message: <3e83ea8f$1@news.povray.org>
cconstan wrote:
> ok, so it's not a bug. I read the README.unix but not README as they
> traditionally contain very unusful information for Unix people.

'traditionally'? Almost every application under at least *BSD and
GNU/Linux has README's which most often contain _essential_ information.

> No, I consider it someone frivolous (sp?) to require the person doing the
> compile to put there name in a macro for crying out loud. I shouldn't have
> to do it at all.

It is a support issue, I suppose. Forcing you to do that relieves the
POV team from having to support unofficial compiles, which are
impossible for the POV team to test and provide quality assurance.

Not to mention the priviledge you get of putting your name in the
executable ;-)