POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Objects moving through texturemaps - need help with normal placement : Re: Objects moving through texturemaps - need help with normal placement Server Time
29 Jun 2024 07:34:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objects moving through texturemaps - need help with normal placement
From: Hughes, B
Date: 27 Mar 2003 20:13:15
Message: <3e83a1ab@news.povray.org>
"Jared" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.3e8394bf6c07e273274118ec0@news.povray.org...
> As it passes through the texture_map, each part of the object changes its
> texture to match the texture at that point in space. I want to apply a
> normal to the ENTIRE texture field uniformly. I have labeled two possible
> places so far where I have tried to place my normal arguments. At position
> A, where I tried it first, the normals would start over for each texture,
> so the object would hit different normal patterns as they moved from one
> texture to another. It was an effect I don't want to have there. It looks
> sort of like there are multiple objects at the same space using two
> different normal patterns.

Which version of POV is being used?

It should work fine with each normal added to the texture map entries. In
fact, checking it with POV-Ray 3.5 it is all continuous as seen on a
unit-sized sphere with a scale of 2 (instead of 200) then translated -x so
as to start the texturing at one side and end at another.

Perhaps what you are seeing happen is a consequence of not having the whole
texture scaled to fit and moved into position. Unlikely, since you probably
already set that up for the object as needed.

Bob