POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Object Handling for Water-Surface-System : Re: Object Handling for Water-Surface-System Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:11:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Handling for Water-Surface-System
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 27 Mar 2003 05:35:17
Message: <3e82d3e5@news.povray.org>
If you're after step-independant animation,
you're right, function-driven transform would definitely
be an exciting feature, though there's still the question
if POV's parsing would be of sufficient speed to actually
be of great use in terms of scripting complex
animation techniques.
Other than that, I'm looking for a nice and clean way
to take samples from an ongoing animation, and
don't need the data inbetween these steps, since the
water-surface algorithm itself is a stepped algorithm.

Aside of that, as I've looked into transform.inc, it seems
you can do object transformation. You'd just have to
convert from regular object to your isoCSG, and then
apply the transformation.
Though in this case, it might be handy to have some tool
which'll read a POV-file as input, and, if its CSG, convert
all the difference/intersection and sphere/box etc into
isoCSG-code, and then transform isosurfaces. This would
be pretty costly though. An other idea might be to use
convert a sphere to a set of data, and then apply the trans-
formation to the data. From this you could later reconstruct
the original sphere in its new position.
The hard part is the conversion and the appropriate approach,
and then returning back to csg where possible.
And for meshes you could save the three corners, transform
it, and then reconstruct the new triangle. Same applies to
surface-normals in case of smooth_triangles...

Well, I could go on talking about this stuff forever, and I guess
you already got the idea... :-)

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde