POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Naming of source file (povuni_s.tgz) : Re: Naming of source file (povuni_s.tgz) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:02:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Naming of source file (povuni_s.tgz)
From: Pär Karlsson
Date: 26 Mar 2003 17:35:56
Message: <3e822b4c$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>>  So what I am wondering is if it would be possible to release the
>> source code with the version number included in the name a la GNU and
>> many other packages. Something like 'povray-3.50c.tar.gz' would be
>> sufficient
>

>     It's been a bit discussed recently under p.programming in the thread
>
> [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again)
>
>     by Wolfgang Wieser.
>
>     I kinda suspect that this useful filenaming convention won't be used
> before a while for *nix releases...Or maybe it's just that I'm in a bad
> mood
> today  ;-)

Ah, I see. I read the thread you mentioned, and it seemed to veer off
the whole subject after a while and then got dropped.
   I hope Thorsten Froehlich or anyone else in the POV team reads this
thread also, I don't like crossposting ;-)
   All the while I've been using POV-Ray for many years now, both on
Windows and GNU/Linux, there's always been the annoyance with the naming
of the source file(s). Now, while people download the files manually,
this is not a big or serious problem, since it's easy to rename them.
   But when you depend on md5sums and other means of verification of
downloaded files it just breaks things whenever _anything_, even a
single byte, with the source files change. When scripts are getting
source files in a number of slightly different sizes and versions, but
all with the same name they simply fail, with ensuing confusion for the
users.
   It would be a BIG help to the people out there providing POV-Ray to
users (Gentoo Linux being just one example) if the names of the source
tarballs uniquely identified a particular instance or release of the
source code, even if it's just a minor bugfix, at least for the UNIX
releases.
   It would still be possible, maybe even desirable, to provide the
povuni_s.tgz file for DOS users, a symlink or a plain copy could provide
that name for the latest release to them, if there's still anyone out
there seriously running POV-Ray on DOS.

Thanks