POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shelling out to the operating system : Re: Shelling out to the operating system Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shelling out to the operating system
From: S McAvoy
Date: 26 Mar 2003 15:52:50
Message: <3e8212b5.89680023@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:58:42 -0500, Christopher James Huff
<cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>No.
>Ok, some more detail: it has been done before, and would be very easy to
>implement, but it was removed from MegaPOV and not considered for the
>official version because it would introduce a security risk, a POV
>script could do literally anything. Also, it would make the script
>dependant on a single system, generally considered a bad thing for
>distribution.

Okay dokay, I see your point. I never thought of security issues. Shame, the
world we live in.

>It would sometimes be nice though, and perhaps the security problems
>could be overcome, it could be disabled when security is a problem. A
>better solution might be to switch things around, do your stuff in a
>general purpose scripting language like Ruby and call POV from your
>script.

I think, I might be able to do a workaround and just use the post frame command.
Hope so anyway. If not I'll just wait until someone writes a macro or include
file to do what I want. There are so many smart people out there.

Thanks for your explanation.

Regards
        Stephen