POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Naming of source file (povuni_s.tgz) : Naming of source file (povuni_s.tgz) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:32:07 EDT (-0400)
  Naming of source file (povuni_s.tgz)
From: Pär Karlsson
Date: 26 Mar 2003 13:24:23
Message: <3e81f057$1@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I recently discovered a (minor) annoyance in regard to the naming of the
source file for UNIX. I'm running Gentoo Linux, which downloads the
source files from the mirrors provided by Gentoo, and when they can't be
found there, it fetches the files from the original site, in this case
www.povray.org. When it has the source files it does an md5 digest to
verify the size and integrity of the file. However, it happily downloads
the file, since it is always called 'povuni_s.tgz' but the digest fails
when there is a new version of the source files up.
  So what I am wondering is if it would be possible to release the
source code with the version number included in the name a la GNU and
many other packages. Something like 'povray-3.50c.tar.gz' would be
sufficient for the build procedure to aqcuire the right files, and leave
the old versions up for a while.

Thanks for a super great software package!

Best regards,