POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray script to OpenGL? : Re: Povray script to OpenGL? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray script to OpenGL?
From: Tom Melly
Date: 25 Mar 2003 09:19:05
Message: <3e806559$1@news.povray.org>
"ABX" <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:46:01 -0000, "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:
> > JOOC, how does pov handle infinities?
>
> Mathematically. The shapes are usually stored just like they are defined in
SDL.

Sorry, I should have been clearer (or, if your answer is complete, perhaps you
should ;).

Whilst internally POV can "see" that the shapes are infinite, at the trace-level
POV must give up at some distance, otherwise (afaics) any scene with an infinite
object might take forever to trace. I suppose another way of putting it is "what
bounding box does pov apply to infinite shapes?".