POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Importing DXF, WMF etc : Re: Importing DXF, WMF etc Server Time
19 May 2024 05:13:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Importing DXF, WMF etc
From: CB
Date: 24 Mar 2003 12:15:00
Message: <3e7f3d14@news.povray.org>
"Daniel Prien" <wil### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message

> > Is it possible to "import" objects or shapes created in other graphics
> > drawing programs such as DXF meshes, WMF etc.
> >
> > In particular I have a shape which I created in CorelDraw which I can
> > obviously export in various formats, and I'd like to be able to use it
in
> > PovRAY in an extruded form.
> >

> I think Corel can export TrueType fonts. Maybe you can export a font
> containing your shapes, and then use Elefont to make objects out of them.

Thanks Daniel. This worked surprisingly well. The CorelDraw shape was
composed of  6 enclosed curves and when "Combine"-ed I was able to
export the shape as a TrueType font character. CorelDraw seems to use the
bottom-left of the page as the origin for the "character" so you have to
make
sure that the shape is against that corner of the page before exporting.

I was a little sceptical, but when I loaded the ttf into Elefont it was OK.
I could
apply all of the different bevelling types and amounts, and then export it
as
a POV mesh of triangles.

I was a little disappointed that Elefont did not use smooth_triangle for the
curved sides (which I think the Polyray ttf processing utility did), unless
there
was a hidden option I overlooked. But when I set it to export at the highest
quality level I found that for my application the smooth sides looked OK in
the final POV render.

It looks like Elefont has not been updated for the last few years so I doubt
there will be any more enhancements.

Colin