POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fresnel reflectivity : Re: fresnel reflectivity Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:12:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fresnel reflectivity
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 23 Mar 2003 20:27:40
Message: <3e7e5f0c$1@news.povray.org>
Lutz-Peter Hooge <lpv### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> When using reflection{0,1 fresnel} there is a reflection,
> but I wasn't sure if the result of using the range 0...1
> would be the physical correct reflection, thats because I asked.

Ok, I searched the source files for 'fresnel' and found the
relevant part. If I understand it corrently
'reflection{0,1 fresnel}' should indeed give the correct result.

However I discovered something that might be a bug:
The fresnel function used there seems to be the one that describes
how the energy splits up in the reflected/refracted part.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the function for the intensitys
should be used instead...?

Lutz-Peter