POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fresnel reflectivity : Re: fresnel reflectivity Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:08:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fresnel reflectivity
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 23 Mar 2003 17:44:46
Message: <3e7e38de$1@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> Well, first, upgrade.

I already use Pov 3.5.

> The reflection_min and reflection_max keywords are

Sorry, I didn't mean the old (MegaPov 0.x?) keywords, I just had
to name that values that go into the reflection block somehow.
The docs name them COLOR_REFLECTION_MIN, COLOR_REFLECTION_MAX.

> long obsolete. In POV 3.5 and MegaPOV 1.0, the simplest specification
> using fresnel reflection is:
> reflection {fresnel}
>
> The default min and max will be 0 and 1.

Of course I tried that, but it results in no reflection at all.
Minimal scene:

camera {location <0, .1, -5> look_at 0 angle 60}
sky_sphere{pigment{granite}}
plane{y,0
 pigment{color rgb 1}
 finish{reflection{fresnel}}
 interior{ior 1.5}
}

When using reflection{0,1 fresnel} there is a reflection,
but I wasn't sure if the result of using the range 0...1
would be the physical correct reflection, thats because I asked.

Lutz-Peter