POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : alpha masking : Re: alpha masking Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha masking
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 18 Mar 2003 13:12:21
Message: <3e776185@news.povray.org>
Well, then there isn't much point to it, is there? After all,
the raytracing has to be done either way, so no matter
how complicated your object is, it will always effect the
rendering time. You'd only save texturing/reflection/
refraction/normal parsing, but not the object itself.

Or is there something I don't get? The only thing you'd might
want would be something like an invisible depth-information
in the image, so that combining images with the program
capable of "seeing" that depth would be possible... It would then
just choose, pending on depth, from which image it would have
to pick a pixel.

The only thing I can think of would be to ask Christoph Hormann if
he could implement such feature into his HCR-Edit, but POV doesn't
write two output-files at once (that might be a nice patch though), so
you'd be stuck with tracing four images instead of just two (each ship)
or just one all along.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde