POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : alpha masking : Re: alpha masking Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha masking
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 18 Mar 2003 13:06:00
Message: <3e776008@news.povray.org>
"Mark Weyer" <wey### [at] informatikuni-freiburgde> wrote in message
news:3E7### [at] informatikuni-freiburgde...

> I think that you can do something similar already, although in three
> steps (maybe the kings of povray abuse and obfuscation can help to do
> it in two).
>   1. Render spaceship A only (otherwise full scene).
>   2. Render spaceship B only (otherwise full scene).
>   3. Render a 3-colour picture. One colour for each spaceship and one
>      for the background.
> Postprocessing to merge the three should be trivial.

I actually tried that already and the anti-aliasing along the edges looked
terrible. Maybe it's a limitation of the photoshop tool (Jasc Paint Shop
Pro), but combining PNG or TGA images using alpha transparency just seems to
give much better results than using a color key.