POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : alpha masking : Re: alpha masking Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:11:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha masking
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 18 Mar 2003 12:56:17
Message: <3e775dc1$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> Well, a point about this is that many rendering software
> render in multiple passes, because it would create way too
> much overhead if it would be done all in once.
>
> The problem for POV is, this feature would have to be implemented
> on a fundamental level. As I see it, alpha_only would have to
> switch all textures, image_maps, normals etc etc off, and just
> do object-hits, in order to speed things up as is wanted.

If this proposed feature existed, I would turn off textures, image_maps,
etc. myself using conditional parsing of the scene file.

> But, in this case, I think it would be way too much work to
> implement it in POV 3.5. This might be a nifty little feature
> for POV 4, but until then, I see it as Thorsten does: there's
> no point. POV 3.5 will probably load all image-maps, need
> to parse everything as before, and you won't get a significant
> speed up that way.

Like I said, I would define my objects so that they would only load all the
computationally-intensive stuff if a conditional parsing variable were set
in my scene script.