POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : alpha masking : Re: alpha masking Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha masking
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 17 Mar 2003 18:33:04
Message: <3e765b30@news.povray.org>
Well, a point about this is that many rendering software
render in multiple passes, because it would create way too
much overhead if it would be done all in once.

The problem for POV is, this feature would have to be implemented
on a fundamental level. As I see it, alpha_only would have to
switch all textures, image_maps, normals etc etc off, and just
do object-hits, in order to speed things up as is wanted.

But, in this case, I think it would be way too much work to
implement it in POV 3.5. This might be a nifty little feature
for POV 4, but until then, I see it as Thorsten does: there's
no point. POV 3.5 will probably load all image-maps, need
to parse everything as before, and you won't get a significant
speed up that way.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde