POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rune? Christoph Hormann? : Re: Thanks you two Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks you two
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 15 Mar 2003 19:38:28
Message: <3e73c784$1@news.povray.org>
If I'd had to, I'd script in JAVA, not so much because of its widely
claimed versatility on different OS', but because I'd have to know
JAVA for studying...

Besides that, the only speed-up I'd get would be to calculate the
arrays of heights, cause I'd later want to be able to map the
water-data on meshes made with my MMM...

Also, I can have objects interact with the water. As long as its
just plain raining, it wouldn't matter, but dropping CSG objects
into the pool and getting realistic results (to that certain degree
this algorithm allows) wouldn't be possible very easily without
implementing it as a patch for POV, and I'm not into C++ THAT
much, and not yet that skilled at programming.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

> >Hm. Just noticed: this gets pretty darn slow, doesn't
> >it? I've been experimenting with a 20x20 res. mesh, and
> >now I'm just doing a 60x60, using photons and smooth-
> >triangles... Photons are done just like *zap* but tracing and
> >parsing... wuhee...
> >

> >--
> I noticed the same slow times using SDL I wrote a Basic programme that I
called
> from Pov which created a tga to be used as a heightfield. It worked ok but
I had
> problems with the size and memory. I could not use an array larger than
121*121.
> I have been trying to redo the programme in C++ but am having problems.
(First