POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2.8 GHz chip is 2.5 times slower than 1 GHz : Re: 2.8 GHz chip is 2.5 times slower than 1 GHz Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2.8 GHz chip is 2.5 times slower than 1 GHz
From: Tom Melly
Date: 14 Mar 2003 10:31:53
Message: <3e71f5e9$1@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj:-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message

> cause additonal problems.     I also (stupidly) may have asked the PC
> company to install network capabilities (a lan card??) that I don't even
> need, and this may cause WinXP to spend lots of time fussing over it.

Just as a little side note (and this may be fixed under xp) - make sure that you
disable any unused network cards in the device manager. On booting, windows 95,
98 and 2000* spend a lot of time trying to find something useful to do with
network cards, even if they are not connected to anything.

The indicator that this is happening is a long pause in the boot-up not
accompanied by much in the way of disk activity.

* I haven't exactly experienced this with a card under 2000 - it was some AOL
protocol or other (installed AOL to help out a friend - had to delete the
protocol before boot-times went back to normal).