POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : help: i/o restrictions (again) : Re: help: i/o restrictions (again) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:35:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: help: i/o restrictions (again)
From: gimi
Date: 14 Mar 2003 04:43:29
Message: <3e71a441$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>     So here is what's wrong with your initial .povray.conf
> file: there is 1 extra space caracter at the end of each line.
> For instance, in your file you had:
>
> "[File I/O Security] \n"
> "none \n"

you are partly right, as the WS at EOL would indeed cause
povray to refuse to render (i tried it).

but i copied the message text into my editor again to check
this, and there appears to be no whitespace, but rather a
carriage return (\015) character, followed by the linefeed
(\012), as you would expect from a dos-ish text (i use
mozilla1.3b/win32 to read usenet).

the CRs *aren't* present in the unix files, however (verified
with hexdump), and it appears that vi removes CRs from DOS-
files upon writing (this might indeed have been the solution
for the problem in the first place).  i loaded one of them
into my win32-editor, switched from unix- to dos-text and
saved - guess what, povray does no longer render..

this should definitely not happen, neither because of white-
space in general, nor because of a CR in particular!

thank you for pointing this out, i hope that the pov-team
will fix this soon.

g.

--
++ mailto:gim### [at] psicoch ++ http://www.psico.ch/ ++