POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go? : RE: new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  RE: new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go?
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 11 Mar 2003 17:09:57
Message: <3e6e5eb5$1@news.povray.org>

3e6e0ce3@news.povray.org...
> Hi,
>
> I've just started playing around with POV-Ray by going through the
tutorials
> (and being overwhelmed), but I'm really not a big fan of the concept of
> creating a scene using the SDL - is Moray a great way to use POV-Ray for
> creating scenes of any complexity? Are there any drawbacks to using Moray
> rather than POVRay by itself (apart from the shareware licence).

If you find easier to work with a modeller than using the SDL directly,
I think the better option is moray.
It's the most complete pov modeller around the world (even though
it can't do "everything" that pov can), but it's expanding its
possibilities with plugins (animation plugin is a good example) and now
has a mesh editor with UV_mapping support.
It is a low cost application (sure it gives you more than you pay for it).
In combination with:
- hamapatch: freeware, organic modeller, exports to Moray .mdl file
http://www.geocities.com/hamapatch/program/index.html
- poseray: also freeware, takes an .obj file and exports it to UDO (moray),
INC (pov), with UV_mapping support.
http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/index.htm
you are able to make very complex scenes.

Just my opinion.

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com