POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go? : Re: new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go?
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 11 Mar 2003 13:20:11
Message: <3e6e28db$3@news.povray.org>
neko <nek### [at] swirvecom> wrote in message news:3e6e0ce3@news.povray.org...
> Hi,
>
> I've just started playing around with POV-Ray by going through the
tutorials
> (and being overwhelmed), but I'm really not a big fan of the concept of
> creating a scene using the SDL - is Moray a great way to use POV-Ray for
> creating scenes of any complexity? Are there any drawbacks to using Moray
> rather than POVRay by itself (apart from the shareware licence).
>
> My current plan is to get the hang of everything in the "Beginning
Tutorial"
> section (basic shapes, CSG, lighting etc) and see if I'm still enjoying
> myself!
>
> cheers,
>
> --
> cheers,
> neko_

you can do quite complex scenes in moray. its a pretty darn good modeller.
It's just hard to get any sort of organic looking objects with it alone. You
might want to look into Spatch or Hamapatch eventually for adding curvy non
primitive based objects. With Spatch you can easily export to moray usable
objects, i've never used Hamapatch though so I dont know for sure how they
work together.

the other great feature in moray for users of all levels is the texture
editor.

Eventually we'll assimilate you though, and you will eat, drink, and dream
pov SDL =) It happened to me.

its all a matter of preference though. I've recommended moray to 2 people
who were just getting into raytracing, and they loved the pov+moray
combination.

have fun,
ross