POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.binaries : Isosurface sea : Re: Isosurface sea Server Time
8 May 2024 00:04:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface sea
From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 9 Mar 2003 04:29:15
Message: <3e6b096b$1@news.povray.org>

3e6afc19@news.povray.org...

> 1. It is good, structurally.
Thanks, I hoped so :) though I forgot to say that it is made with and for
Moray 3.5 and can't be loaded in Moray 3.3 I think.
> 2. Why do you make the isosurface 'hollow'? A water body is solid,
although
> somewhat transparent.
The important word here is "somewhat". I want to have a media
(absorption+scattering) working in water.
For that I had to make the media container hollow. (see POV doc 6.5.9.5 and
6.6.2)
You can notice that my water surface has no active color (filter 0 transmit
1), just specular and fresnel reflection.
> 3. To be sure that the depths are dark, I usually add a black box
> (literally!) at the base of the water, to be sure no light comes from
below.
> It is quite effective I found.
Yes, I use a plane for the same purpose :)

> I have experimented with white foam at the crests of the waves, by using a
> slope/altitude parameter in the material, but I found that quite tricky to
> do and not entirely satisfactory. Have you tried?
I had a try with the same results :(
I experimented biased slope vector to fake waves displacement (foam forms at
the lip of the wave but as this one progresses, the foam stays on the
backside of the wave) but it didn't work well.

I like your sea, I have a feeling of swelly water with a remote or fallen
wind.
For my own I prefer predeclaring f_ridged_mf parameter to have an easier
access..
May be I use some of your sea features in my *maybe* IRTC entry for
"Achitecture" round: I'm working on a modelisation of Erasmus brug in
Rotterdam, so I'll could turn your North Sea into a Maas.

Tot ziens
Marc