POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.binaries : Isosurface sea : Re: Isosurface sea Server Time
8 May 2024 19:07:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface sea
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Mar 2003 03:32:25
Message: <3e6afc19@news.povray.org>
Hi Marc,
There are three comments I would like to make concerning you isosurface sea:
1. It is good, structurally.
2. Why do you make the isosurface 'hollow'? A water body is solid, although
somewhat transparent.
3. To be sure that the depths are dark, I usually add a black box
(literally!) at the base of the water, to be sure no light comes from below.
It is quite effective I found.

I have experimented with white foam at the crests of the waves, by using a
slope/altitude parameter in the material, but I found that quite tricky to
do and not entirely satisfactory. Have you tried?

That's it for now

Thomas

"Marc Jacquier" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht
> Hi Morayers
>
> Here is an isosurface sea made with Stephen's Isosurface plugin.
> You'll have to set the correct path for "functions.inc" in scene settings
> "includes" tab.
> Usually it is in the include folder of POV installation folder.
> I put an alternative fast material (no interior, no transparency) for the
> sea to be rendered faster.
> I used  -as many-  f_ridged_mf  function.
> The function parameters you find in #declare A thru G are:
> Scale_x and Scale_y... self explain
> "Damp" is relative attenuation for small waves and ripples.
> "Lacunarity" is like Lambda for turbulence: factor between "octaves"
> "Octave" like octave in turbulence
> "Offset" is relative smoothness of lower zones
> "Gain" sharpens ridges
> The cylinder is there to test interior properties.
> I'm still not quite satisfied with absorption and scattering behaviour:
I'd