POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : To learn more pov... : Re: To learn more pov... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: To learn more pov...
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 7 Mar 2003 14:20:30
Message: <3e68f0fe$1@news.povray.org>
Tom & Lu Melly <all### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
> "Jettero Heller" <pov### [at] voltar-confedorg> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> To be frank, leaping in to your first major project with the kind of
> scenario you envisage strikes me as over-ambitious, but then I'm crap at
> that kind of thing, and I don't know your IT background, sowaddaino?
>
> For what it's worth, I would suggest breaking the task down into as
smaller
> units as possible, using macros. This will save duplicating code in the
long
> run. This information makes no claims to non-redundancy.

I agree. How about starting smaller, like making a really good front gate. I
can imaging a lot good things to model here like chains and pulleys that
raise/lower or swing open/close, various sized wood planks, metal beams
holding it together, etc...

I once read in an old version of "The Renderman Companion" (i think that was
the title) that you should "replace complex geometry with proper shaders(in
pov's case, textures)" to make things more effiecient. their example was
either a brick surface or a metal "chain link" type thing, i forget.

not that i follow that advice myself :)