POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pixels per ... : Re: pixels per ... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pixels per ...
From: Slime
Date: 7 Mar 2003 14:11:35
Message: <3e68eee7$1@news.povray.org>
> My render is running at 34 pixels per minute at the moment, and I
> think I've seen PPH once or twice, so I was wondering: does this
> notation extend further?  Pixels per day?  Week?  Year? ;)

I don't get it. I have a fairly slow computer, and yet I've done renders
with sphere sweeps, scattering media, media and normal photons, etc, and
never had to deal with render times under 3 or 4 PPS; usually closer to 5.

I believe that, the majority of the time, if a render is going more slowly
than that, then the scene can be hand-tweaked to create an effect 99%
similar but faster to render. Admittedly, this often means splitting media
containers into up to 10 smaller containers (with different distances from
the camera), and splitting transparent objects into the parts that will
create visible photons and parts whose photons won't be noticeable, etc. It
can be a nuisance sometimes. But it's a few hours of work versus a few days
of rendering time.

34 PPM is really freakin' slow. =)

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]