POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : It's 90% about textures (and finishes) : Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 7 Mar 2003 13:09:00
Message: <3e68e03c@news.povray.org>
Renderdog wrote:

> The most disappointing aspect of the IRTC is how so many great images are
> let down by plain, or even non-existant, textures. I'm not sure it's a lack
> of tools (though I wish I could layer over a patterned texture!).

Doesn't everyone?

I've never understood why we *can't* do this. A texture, whether it's
patterned or not, is just a texture. You shoot a ray at an object and
the texture contributes a few numbers to the color calculation for the
ray. If it doesn't matter whether the top layer is patterned or not, and
the texture engine can perform the necessary math to work out the color
of a layered texture at a given point, why can't that non-top layer be
patterned?

It almost sounds like some stupid oversight that no one felt
particularly motivated to fix.. or else the code is old and crufty and
makes assumptions about textures that aren't necessarily true today, but
rewriting the code would take a lot of work.

(In which case, this had better be fixed in the semi-mythical 4.0 release.)

-Xplo