POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible bugs in interior : Re: Possible bugs in interior Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible bugs in interior
From: Anders K
Date: 6 Mar 2003 09:08:32
Message: <3e675660$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> As I see it, you can abserve several effects:
> 1. media_attenuation isn't used, since there's no fog or media anywhere

Yeah, that was left over from other tests with media.

> 2. The darker red appearing underneath your planes-objects is actually
>  the shadow of the planes, colored due to fade_color

But since the planes are transparent, the shadow just above the bottom of
the layer should be nearly the same as the shadow just below the bottom of
the layer. There shouldn't be a discontinuous jump.

> 3. If you lower fade_distance, you can see that though the pure-diffuse
> cylinder gets darker red, the one with a little ambience looks washed
> out. There's probably some way in how ambient and fade's are calculated
> which ultimately result in that ambient 1 object to be pure white.

If I set the cylinder to ambient .5 or any other color, that's exactly the
color that shows through; attenuation is having no effect. I think that
what's happening is that the light from the light_source is being
attenuated, but the light on its way to the camera is not. If that's the
case, it should be fixed.

> 3b. With lowered fade_distance (to .2 e.g.) there is no sudden gap when
> the cylinder pokes out of the planes anymore, cause it is colored entirely
> red near-bottom and the shadow is too.

That only masks the problem, and only in the diffuse cylinder; the ambient
one still has the gap.

Anders